Thursday, November 13, 2008

Fort Kochi


Not having a detailed map, we were unable to ascertain where the bus station was located relative to our destination – Fort Kochi. Thinking that the auto rickshaw drivers in this metropolitan city were simply charging us tourist prices for a short distance, we were surprised as the driver took us farther and farther, across long bridges until we finally reached the natural harbor of Fort Kochi. Feeling a bit guilty and grateful we got a ride that far, we gave him a bit more money.

Dropping off our stuff at the brightly painted homestay, we began our exploration of this Heritage Zone. A rather compact area, one could visit the pleasant park, see the Chinese fishing nets, and enjoy the myriad of historical architecture erected during the Dutch, Portuguese, and British occupations. St. Francis Church, built by the Portuguese in 1502 and one of the oldest churches constructed by Europeans in India, had its simple façade scaffolded. Other buildings of note included an unusual –looking mosque, the ornate Santa Cruz Cathedral, and some charming restaurants/shops.

Many auto rickshaws were around, but I told the drivers that I preferred to walk. One told me that if I got in his vehicle and went into a large shop mere steps away, he would get a liter of fuel. I admired the handicrafts and textiles in the store but didn’t purchasing anything. In the driveway, the driver was waiting for me. I once again re-iterated that I preferred to walk, but he insisted and said that he’d take me around for free. Realizing that I didn’t have a whole lot of time before the concert that evening, I decided to take him up on his offer. He took me to the true spice warehouses, through the thick-beamed entryways and into the rooms with spices and ayurvedic plants/medicines ready in large bags for export. It smelled so good. With the lighting now golden, we arrived at Jew Town. Unfortunately the synagogue was closed, so I took photos of the exterior and other neighboring buildings. The entire area here was full of shops selling textiles, jewelry, and other goodies for tourists.

2 comments:

Rajesh Poudel said...

hi its nice
me rajesh
from Nepal
mail me rajeshkrp111@gmail.com
and also visit my blog
www.rajesh420.blogspot.com

Melissa Enderle said...

Rajesh,
I just took a look at your blog entries on Nepal. Informative and attractive collage. Perhaps I'll visit your country during my stay in India.