Saturday, November 29, 2008

Cyclone Nisha's Aftermath

Although the cyclone has passed, we still are experiencing some after effects. Rain, albeit more intermittent, still likes to pour down in force. Streets just beginning to drain once again fill with water, making it difficult for pedestrians and motorists alike. Rivers and canals are now quite high, leaving only a few feet of space between lower bridges. I saw thatched huts submerged in the water, with only the sloped roof showing. Mud-brick thatched huts were also in danger of collapsing under the strain of so much rainfall. The family of my neighbor’s housekeeper had their house full of water. They stayed in my neighbor’s apartment until it subsided. How many others are in similar situations, with their simple homes built along the banks of rivers and canals? All total, 86 people perished in Tamil Nadu.

As for me, I am beginning to see the effects in my apartment. Wet spots on the wall and in the last two days I've found mold on stuff ranging from some clothing, leather items, wood, and textiles. Paper feels limp and damp. Yuck! I guess I know what I am doing tomorrow! If you have any tips on how to get rid of mold, send them this way.

These photos were taken a couple of days ago. The waters actually got higher, but I didn't want to risk my camera as it was raining. Actually, it's raining AGAIN!

2 comments:

Rachel Sarah said...

2 years in India & I never did figure out how to conquer mold... there must be a way though!

Unknown said...

If you want to help those who are suffering due to the floods in Tamil Nadu, you can do it through GiveIndia, a trustworthy online donation portal.

Visit our Tamil Nadu donation page here:

http://www.giveindia.org/t-tamil-nadu-flood-relief.aspx