Thursday, July 23, 2015

Impression West Lake

On my final night in Hangzhou, my cousin and I went to see Impression West Lake. Although a bit more expensive (prices started at $42 and VIP prices were at $100), it was an enjoyable show set right on the West Lake (a platform was built 3 cm below the surface). Directed by Zhang Yimou who is most noted for developing the opening and closing ceremonies of the Beijing Olympics, the love story was enhanced by startling light effects and beautiful music by Kitaro.

Although I didn't understand everything presented (symbolism, based on a Hangzhou legend), it was enjoyable to watch. The show included hundreds of actors and encompassed a rather wide area in some sections. I would have loved to have seen it closer and observe the intricate costumes.



No comments: