Thursday, March 24, 2011

Mehrangarh Fort - Howdah Seats and Jharokas


Towering over the predominantly blue buildings of old Jodhpur is the Mehrangarh Fort. Although I had visited this fort before, its architecture, royal collection, and excellent guided tour made it worth a second view. The musicians were in their same spot, playing their traditional instruments. Passing through the elephant gate and past the sati hand impressions, I once again entered the palace grounds. The view of the “Blue City” below was diminished due to the light rains and overcast sky. The Howdah elephant seats once again impressed me with their details and skilled silver embossing. We saw the open palanquins that carried men and the covered ones that carried the royal women. Out in the courtyard, I once again took my share of photos of the jharokas (overhangs inspired by those of huts) shading the jali (lattice-like carved) windows.

No comments: