Monday, August 30, 2010

On the way to the Velankanni Festival

Late Sunday afternoon, I joined one of my Indian friends and his family who were participating in the walk to the annual Velankanni Festival. The main road near my apartment was transformed into a steady parade of devotees all heading to the church in Besant Nagar for the raising of the flag marking the beginning of the Velankanni Festival. People of all ages joined the throng, walking, riding in carts, overcrowded auto rickshaws, five to a motorcycle, trucks, and more. Despite the heat and humidity, the mood was jovial. People waved from across the street or from their crammed rickshaw. Others came up to me and asked if I could take a photo of them with their child. Although the usual rainbow of assorted colors and patterns abounded in textiles, a favorite color was orange, signifying religious propriety of the common person.

1 comment:

Pat said...

For me, every day was a festival in India.