Thursday, December 01, 2011

Early Morning walk in a Sunderbans Village


After being awoken at dawn by the unwelcome serenading of a mosquito, I got up and observed my surroundings from the boat’s deck. Still early, everything was quiet. Still low tide, the boat was currently marooned a fair distance on grey clay. The cement dock led to the steeply embanked clay path, over the protective embankment, and into the village. 
Within the hour, the sleepy village residents began to stir. Walking around brushing one’s teeth seemed to be in fashion. A yellow metal iron-gridded school bus trike made its way on the narrow path. A young boy led its black groat through the quiet street. Spotting a small pond with water lilies, I climbed down to its shore. From here I paused for a while, admiring the tranquil scene and several photos as the golden rising sun cast its warm colors and light on the lilies and pads. 


2 comments:

Pat said...

That first photo is especially beautiful; my weakness for waterlilies notwithstanding.

How did your exhibit go?

Melissa Enderle said...

Thanks, Bibi. It reminded me of when we saw the lotuses by the gas station.
I had a nice turnout from staff members from school. All well-received.