Sunday, September 12, 2010

Ganesh puja


Yesterday I visited my former neighbor's apartment. She proudly showed me her puja closet, of which her clay Ganesh figure took the place of honor. Fruits, drinks, and sweets were prepared here for the enjoyment of the plump Ganesh. Note the obligatory umbrella over Ganesh, floral garlands, and my neighbor's jewelry decorating the clay sculpture. Some families immerse the clay figure the next evening, while others wait until later in the 10-day festival.



1 comment:

Rohan said...

Nice post. I like the your perspective of seeing the things differently which others easily miss. On Ganesh puja, if it is possible try visiting Mumbai in those times. People there celebrate this festival with 10 times more enthusiasm than they do in chennai. Ganesh is one of the most beloved gods for people up north.