Friday, June 05, 2009

Last night in Chennai


It's a Friday evening, the last day of school. Walking home from the principal's house, I thought about the scenes that wouldn't be part of my framework for a couple of months - men selling coffee from their bicycles, whole families riding a motorbike, women zipping by on their scooters wearing a sari, the selling of coconuts on the corner, a field full of passionate cricket players, auto rickshaws, girls walking hand and hand, wearing salwar school uniforms, the man ironing clothes using charcoal iron. All these things have become a part of my everyday life.

Tomorrow evening I'll be in the quiet rolling countryside of Wisconsin with my family. What a change.

Until later.

2 comments:

Pat said...

Yes, it is truly amazing that in a relatively few hours we can be so far away, in a totally different culture. I'm about to experience the same, though albeit without such culture shock. Cute boys!

Bhushavali said...

Hi Melissa,
Nice to come across your blog.. :)
Hope u had a nice time in India... Learnt a few words in Tamil.???
Do visit my blog when time permits www.flutteringandwandering.blogspot.com