|Porta de Santiago|
One of the older structures in Melaka, the Porta de Santiago was originally built by the Portuguese in 1512 as one of the four main gates to its fortress during their 130 year colonial rule. Restoration was undertaken by the Dutch. Sadly, the British destroyed the A'Famosa fortress, with only the one gate remaining. Upon entering the arched interior, visitors had a mini concert provided by a few guitarists and singers.
Until 2006, the ruins of the Portuguese fortress/wall lay buried underground. It was the intended site for the city's tower, which was subsequently relocated. Laterite rocks from nearby Upeh Island were used to rebuild the watch tower.