Thursday, July 31, 2008

A Walk Down the Alley

While exploring my neighborhood, I came across an alley. Perhaps this would lead me to the nearby river. Shortly into the narrow path, I met a woman carrying a baby and two other women. Noticing my Digital SLR camera around my neck, they asked if I could take their photo, to which I happily obliged. Immediately a grey-haired woman appeared, also wanting to be in the picture. Showing them the photos, they thanked me and then I moved on.

Reaching the first “intersection,” I immediately realized that I was in a slum area – so close to my nice apartment! Homes were small, trash abounded, and kids were running around scantily clothed. Daily chores were being carried out in the dirt street. I felt a bit uncomfortable, as if I was invading an area that should be closed off from the public. Perhaps seeing my look of surprise, a local helpfully directed me in English which turn to take. That street was a bit cleaner, and I could see a larger main road in the distance, with its vehicles whizzing by. Several times I was approached, each asking if I could take their photo, sometimes requested in English and other times through gestures. All too eager to see the photos, they were excited when the display would finally show the images. One boy requested a photo with his dog, tied up on a short rope near his house. Picking up the dog, the boy proudly smiled has he struggled to hold on to his pet. As I walked along, some of the kids began following me, jumping into subsequent photo poses.

I was pleasantly surprised by the eagerness of the people to have their photo taken. For some, it may have been the first photo they saw of themselves. If this openness continues, I will have many opportunities to get some wonderful shots of the locals. Since I can’t “hide” or blend in, I might as well utilize my foreignness and capture the local people when they are willing. When I get my shipment, I plan on printing photos and giving them to the respective people.

3 comments:

tombetz said...

Hey Melissa,

I'm already excited about your new adventure and plan to live my life vicariously through your blog. My time in Madras was short yet satisfying. When shopping, don't forget the saffron. Indian saffron is richer, darker in its red-orange color then the Spanish or Italian, and gives a better flavor to rice. The saffron should always be steeped in hot water ahead of time and used as part of the liquid in the recipe.

Rachel Sarah said...

I'm finding myself "homesick" for Madras. It has been so long. Your pictures are excellent.

Melissa Enderle said...

Thanks for the advice about the saffron. The food has been yummy so far, but I have no idea about how to cook it.